The Materials Manager assumes a leadership role in managing, controlling and directing the material planning, inventory control, and shipping and receiving functions for the facility. The Materials Manager is responsible for ensuring customer satisfaction, effectively managing inventory and making continuous improvement to the business.
· Provides strategic vision and tactical methods for the continuous improvement of Materials systems and processes
· Responsible for all customer communication and ensuring customer satisfaction
· Responsible for ensuring that safety standards are enforced on all materials shifts
· Achieving Facility safety goal for OSHA and overall incident rate and enforce PPE usage
· Drive 5S in his or her areas and daily completion of the 5S check sheet
· Investigate, report and act upon any incidents or near misses
· Ensure all key processes are followed using lean tools (Kanban, Standard Work instructions, 5S, Kaizen, problem solving and visual management)
· Actively lead implementation of continuous improvement processes
· Motivate employees by setting clear expectations & work directions through effective communication
· Work with HR to address disciplinary matters of associates
· Responsible for coordinating communications between materials and operating disciplines, ie: manufacturing, quality, plating engineering, etc.
· Responsible for developing/training materials team
· Meets or exceeds objectives within sales, inventory and operating plan objectives
· Drive and achieves plant metric goals and objectives including delivery, inventory, productivity and budget performance
· Manages excess and obsolete inventories with root cause analysis and counter measures
· Drives facility to meet or exceed customer delivery
· Works with the Plant Manager to assess performance
· Responsible for developing, mentoring and competing performance evaluations for the Materials team ie: Production Planner, Shipping Coordinator, Shipping Clerks, Shipping and receiving Clerks, and Forklift Operators.
Required Skills and Experience
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Strong time management skills
· Demonstrated knowledge of materials, inventory control, forecasting, JIT and Lean Manufacturing skills
· Has the ability to energize the materials teams
· Automotive experience (Tier 1 and Tier 11)
Education and Job Experience Requirements
· Four year degree with emphasis in materials/inventory control or equivalent experience will be considered
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The work environment and physical demands detailed above are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time as needed.